THE JAMES CUSTOM HOMES PROCESS
WE DESIGN. WE BUILD.
The initial Step of the Construction Process is the design. We will help customize a floor plan that best fits your needs and budget.
Once this is accomplished the blueprints will need to be evaluated to establish a cost. To help assist in keeping the costs within budget we will discuss options, make suggestions, and answer any questions you may have.
We will go through a series of questions and talk about the construction phases of your project. After obtaining the building permit, the next phase will be the excavation and foundation.
During the Construction Process we will have several meetings (at least monthly) to sit down and review where we are at within the project phase and our budget.
Upon completion of your new home a walk through with us is recommended so details can be addressed before occupancy. Once your custom home is finished we will present you with a Homeowner’s Manual complete with warranty information, product information, and instructions on proper care and maintenance. Please see the following page for an outline of our process as well as more detailed information on both the DESIGN and BUILD stages.
WE WANT THIS TO BE A POSITIVE AND MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE FOR YOU!!
Mike & Jami James
JAMES CUSTOM HOMES PROCESS OUTLINE:
- Secure Lender Financing Approval & Determine Project Budget
- Decide on Location & General Size of Home
- Set up Initial Pre Design/Build Consultation Meeting
- Begin Design Phase
- Begin Building Phase – Enter into the Building Contract
- Permits, Utilities and Scheduling
- Break Ground
- Home Construction (5-9 Months Depending on Complexity)
- Close & Move In
STEP 1: DESIGN PHASE
If standard blueprints are not provided we will work with you through the design and home planning process. We will help design and customize a floor plan that best fits your needs and budget. Once this is accomplished the blueprints will need to be evaluated to establish a cost. To help assist in keeping the costs within budget we will discuss options, make suggestions, and answer any questions you may have. The design process does require a signed contract with a fee based on scope and scale of the project.
What you will need to provide during design phase:
1. List your home priorities: lifestyle needs, design ideas, size and price range
2. Find 5-10 plans that have spaces you like (good laundry room, nice kitchen layout, nice bathroom, etc.)
3. Find 5-10 front elevations you like (Do not worry whether they match the floor plan)
4. List the top 5 things you CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT. If you have clippings, idea books, or anything else you want to show me. Now is the time!
5. Bring all of this and your budget to us. Based on the information you will be giving us, we will translate your visions into your new home. I will work on an initial plan and we will keep revisiting the plan until it is what you are looking for in a home!
What we will provide during the design phase:
*Initial consultation to collect ideas
*Presentation of preliminary drawings and further discussion of ideas
*3-D computer models
*Revisions of blueprints and discussion of materials and specifications
*Compilation of prints and specifications to create estimate
*Further revision of plans and specs to remain in budget
*Agree upon price and begin final blue prints
Step 2: The Building Phase
Once the design phase is completed we are now ready to move on to the building phase. The plans and specifications are submitted to the lender for a pre-construction appraisal and all necessary preliminary work is completed.
-Building Contract is prepared and signed
-List of Subcontractors and Suppliers
-Detailed Specification lists
-Schedule of Builder-Client Visits
-Warranty Contract—When a James Custom home is constructed attention to detail at each phase of construction is at the core or our process. We work hard to provide you with a home of quality craftsmanship and structural integrity. To insure the performance of your new home we extend our building relationship into your first year of home ownership:
1 year warranty against defective craftsmanship, mechanical device systems, missing parts, or omissions
1 month post move-in revisit
11 month inspection and maintenance follow-up
-Complete Construction Schedule
-Sample of Change Order Forms
-Copy of Lien Waiver
We then meet to review the contract with you in depth. At this time a deposit is required for engineering, building permits and site preparation.